Fedora 7

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Sat Jan 6 18:50:32 UTC 2007

David Zeuthen wrote:

> On Jan 6, 2007, at 12:06 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
>> David Zeuthen wrote:
>>
>>> Not sure what you had in mind (examples?) but it's not exactly true
>>> (which is an understatement) though of course relations between RH
>>> employees and non-RH employees wanting to help out too can be
>>> improved. We always tell people to help out upstream; the only
>>> patches we carry are for defaults really. It's just like the kernel,
>>> we tell Fedora people to hack on kernel.org kernels.
>>
>> Fedora-desktop list is not getting much traffic.
>
> True, it's mostly people who ask support questions / asking for
> misguided features. Sadly.

This is due to a lack of leadership.  I've been asking Havoc and then
Jrb for *YEARS* for someone in RH desktop to provide adequate and
responsible community outreach and leadership on fedora-desktop-list.

Without direction, the list remained utterly useless.

>> One of the problems with that is it wrongly appears that there is no
>> desktop development work going on within Fedora.
>
> The desktop team is understaffed, we spend a lot of time in bugzilla and
> doing packaging rather than development. I think you don't realize this
> and this is bad as you should know such things being an RH employee. And
> this is bad.

This is a weak excuse, for lack of trying.

Recall when Red Hat had no perl maintainer for more than a year?  Red
Hat reached out to the community, created a Fedora perl team with a
responsive perl caretaker providing effective outreach to that
community.  The resulting combination of thin Red Hat resource with
effective collaboration with a few leading Fedora developers magnified
many times fold the amount of work done.

> on this in secret chambers. It is not so. Please stop the FUD about the
> RH desktop team being secretive, especially when you, as a RH employee,
> should know better as you have access to read our internal list. Also,

The attitude of the desktop team has always been one of an exclusive
club, making little attempts to engage the Fedora community.  While the
work was done in the open (upstream at GNOME), decisions and discussions
happened only internally.

This has been a problem of attitude.  Your recent attempt to subvert the
community driven Fedora 7 art creation process with heavy-handed "This
is my job" authority is just yet another example of this.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com