Fedora 7

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Sat Jan 6 20:22:23 UTC 2007

David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-01-06 at 14:51 -0500, Warren Togami wrote:
>> fedora-art-list is not a democracy, but rather a meritocracy.
>
> It is not. It's run by very loud people who are not afraid to resort to
> personal attacks and forming fractions and alliances.

One of us is trying to build a community with a meritocracy governance
model.  The other is using heavy-handed tactics in protectionism,
appealing to the fallacy of authority 'this is my job'.  Only one of
these paths is what is best for the community.

Please consider the possibility, that what you are doing is selfish and
wrong.

>> The vast
>> majority of the work there has been done by volunteers, with Máirín
>> Duffy doing most of the community outreach and communication.  Not
>> everyone there has equal decision making power.  Those who have done
>> work and gained respect from others gain greater authority.  From merit,
>> some clear community leaders have emerged like Nicu Buculei.
>
> "Communication" is not the only deciding factor. I think the work on
> that list is not up to Fedora release quality. As the maintainer of the
> artwork packages plus dealing with graphics people both in this and past
> jobs I can make that statement. I doubt that you can.
>
> (This is harsh, but sorry, Warren pushed me to say such things.)
>
>> This is NOT YOUR DECISION.  This is the Board's decision.
>
> I know, but I am free to disagree with the board. I think they are
> trading quality for building "community". They are in this case, I
> think, hurting the quality of Fedora by turning the art selection
> process into a democracy.

I have made it pretty clear that this is NOT a democracy.  You seem to
think that anything where the decision is out of your hands is a
democracy.  You are free to have that as a personal opinion.

> It's a shame and it makes believe less in the board.

You don't need to believe in the Board.  The project will move forward
with or without your belief.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com