Fedora 7 (Everything installs)

David Cantrell dcantrell at redhat.com
Sat Jan 6 20:53:58 UTC 2007

Dax Kelson wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 17:27 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>>  I don't think merging the repos makes any of
>> the existing reasons for doing away with this selection any less sound.
>
> Of course it does. The major argument bandied about for the removal of
> 'Everything' was the creation of extras.

It was more about anaconda supporting installations from any number of
yum repositories.

As stated many many many times in the past, Everything cannot be defined
when we allow people to install from an arbitrary number of repositories.

And if we did install everything we found (and assuming the backend
didn't crash when resolving dependencies), people would complain that
the install took too long.

> It is useful for a variety of situations. Many, many, people have asked
> for it back. Now that the merge is happening, let's *restore* the
> feature that existed for years.

Of all of the complaints that have come in just in the past year
regarding the removal of the Everything install, only *one* was
reasonable, IMHO.  And solving that was a matter of educating the user
on how to set up kickstart to provision systems (and we still support
Everything installs via kickstart using '*' under %packages).  In their
case, systems were provisioned and then carried in to a secure DoD
research environment without any Internet connectivity.  They wanted to
set up the systems with everything installed up front and not have to
install later since they _couldn't_ do that.

My solution was to set up kickstart to do a normal install, mirror all
the packages to the /var/cache/yum tree and then let them use yum later
on if they need to install things.  It worked well.

--
David Cantrell
Red Hat / Westford, MA