experimental 2.6.19 kernel preview.

Saikat Guha saikat at cs.cornell.edu
Sun Jan 7 15:49:32 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-06 at 23:06 -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
> I've been working on a 2.6.19 update for FC6 over the last
> few weeks, and it's starting to feel 'almost ready'.
> Before I push this out to updates-testing though, I'd rather
> have a few people 'kick the tyres' to make sure there's
> nothing really silly wrong with these.

kernel-2.6.19-1.2905.fc7.x86_64 on booting always drops me into fsck for
a non-root USB disk [0] that is formatted as an ext3 volume and mounted
from fstab as ext3. Incidentally, I just noticed that the partition type
as reported by fdisk is still W95FAT(LBA). The fsck error is that it
cannot find the superblock. Manually giving the alternate block
locations doesn't help. dmesg output is lost since the boot process
doesn't complete and I am afraid of forcing it through incase it results
in any FS corruption on the USB disk (which works on other kernels).

The same setup works flawlessly on 2.6.18-1.2849.fc6.x86_64, finds the
superblocks and mounts the disk at boot time without reporting any
errors.

Do let me know if there are any relatively safe things I can do with
2.6.19 that'll help diagnose the problem better.

[0] Bus 002 Device 005: ID 1058:0900 Western Digital Technologies, Inc.

cheers,
--
Saikat