Fedora 7

Jack Tanner ihok at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 8 16:44:45 UTC 2007

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> 1. You don't want an install-time check because
>  a. in our brave new hotplug world hardware composition of a system
> evolves over time

Obviously. No, what I suggested for firstboot was that the user would
get to opt in to the whole reporting procedure. I'm not sure that
firstboot is the best place for even that. Ideally, you want to ask the
person who's actually the console user. Perhaps this should be per user,
even.

>  b. just because something does not work *today* does not mean it won't
> work a month later when the software part is updated (unfortunately, the
> reverse is true). The user must have the possibility to change his
> evaluation

Yup.

> 2. You don't want to cull failing devices too - knowing the installed
> hardware base available to linux systems is crucial to focus new driver
> development/manufacturer evangelization

Yup.

> 3. You should allow fully automated non-interactive mode - non reviewed
> data is better than no data and most users will get sick reporting every
> time they plug a new usb bit on their system

Sure. Fully automated should still be opted into. So:

( ) Prompt me for comments whenever Hardware Buddy wants to report a new
device
(*) Don't ask for comments, just report automatically (What info is
included?)
( ) Disable Hardware Buddy altogether

> 4. Feeds to other projects (for example pciid database feed) would be
> beneficial both to the community and as Fedora advertising.

Yup.

> Unfortunately, we're both a bit late for Christmas.

Yup. Hm. Anyone want to play cupid? Valentine's Day is coming up, and I
could fall in love with my Hardware Buddy. :)