Fedora 7 (Everything installs)

David Lutterkort dlutter at redhat.com
Mon Jan 8 18:03:58 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-01-07 at 15:32 -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Sunday 07 January 2007 15:24, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> > What would be nice for kickstart files on iso's namely DVD iso  is
> > pre-defined installs  for  postfix mail server, sendmail mail server, mysql
> > database server , postgresql server   etc.    Ones that install a
> > predefined set of packages. but have the user set partitioning, root
> > password etc.
>
> Well, one could have different comps files used based upon which option you
> select, so if you select a mailserver in anaconda, it would use the comps
> file for that which has the right stuff mandatory/default.  Something to
> think about for say F8.

Why would you need different comps files ? Wouldn't it be enough to have
separate 'sendmail mailserver' and 'postfix mailserver' groups ?

In general, I am not convinced that basing this on tools that are mainly
meant for interactive use (like comps) is really all that useful in the
server world - what we want is something like kickstart, but with a
clean separation between the stuff that is site-independent (e.g. which
packages go on a postfix mailserver) and the stuff that is very site
dependent (storage setup, authentication, backup, ...)

For servers, you quickly get into questions that are more config mgmt
questions than install/provisioning questions. Either way, having a good
list of the most popular server setups and/or package lists for them
would be a very good start.

David