Fedora Core 7 - Compiz vs Beryl

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Tue Jan 9 02:51:56 UTC 2007

man, 08 01 2007 kl. 15:13 -0500, skrev Mark Heslep:
> Naoki wrote:
> > Compiz is the upstream original, Beryl is a fork.
> >
> > Compiz uses gconf which is pretty standard and works well with gnome
> > obviously, Beryl uses flat file.
> >
> > Beryl has (had?) some additional plugins, but plugins are being written
> > for compiz all the time as well, look at compiz-extras.
> >
> > Beryl has a theme manager, compiz uses cairo, metacity, or KDE themes.
> >
> > They look the same to me but Compiz just seems to be the better
> > integrated of the two.
> >

> Add:
> Beryl supports dual head xinerama properly.
> Compiz does not.
>
> Compiz is preferred here otherwise, but no dual head is a show stopper.
>
> Mark

Beryl supports this via a nasty hack as I'm to understand. Dave Reveman
opposed including it in Compiz as he was working on a non-hack solution,
which is present in the development version of Compiz (currently
available in your Fedora Development repo and thus in F7). Ergo, a
complete non-issue unless you have bugzilla entries to show me wrong?

- David Nielsen

--
"Ridicule is the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible
propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them.”