F7 KDE spin

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Jan 9 15:17:50 UTC 2007

Gilboa Davara <gilboad <at> gmail.com> writes:
> Out of the list above only evolution is "GNOME". (And given the its
> history, even evolution isn't really a GNOME application.)
> In the GNOME world Epiphany is the browser and Abiword/Gnumeric is the
> office package.

I know. I was referring to Evolution alone drawing in most of GNOME as
dependencies. Now I personally don't have a problem with having to install
GNOME libraries (I install whatever (appropriately licensed) libraries programs
I want to use or even just try out require), but I'm not convinced Evolution is
a good reason to include them. (In fact, it seems to be the most hated default
app in Fedora judging from the comments on the mailing lists, some GNOME users
are looking for an alternative too, some even switched to Kontact or KMail.)

> Hopefully by the time KDE 4/KOffice 2.0 are released, koffice/kmail/konq
> will be able to replace OO/Evo/firefox.

I use KMail and Konqueror (as browser - I use Krusader as my file manager) all
the time, they work fine for me.

For the office suite, I don't need it often, so I could probably do with
KOffice, but I do see the difference in features, so I do think OO.o is nice to
have on the KDE spin (though it would be nice if the KDE integration (KDE NWF,
KDE file dialogs) was available again, it had been for a moment in late OO.o 1
times and then got dropped again with OO.o 2).

        Kevin Kofler