mozilla to seamonkey switch...

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Jan 9 15:53:59 UTC 2007

> On Tuesday 09 January 2007 09:26, Dmitry Butskoy wrote:
> > P.S. And it is painful enough to see "bubbles in water" instead of old
> > kind "red dragon" in the application which is used more than half time
> > of all the computer work for years... :(
>
> Trademark issue.  You could keep your mozilla, but you wouldn't ever receive
> updates for it.

Do they ever really _do_ anything about the trademark issue, or is it
just hot air?

They don't seem to care much about the fact that we've been shipping a
totally non-functional¹ firefox™ on ppc64 since before the FC6 release.

There was an FC6Blocker bug filed for it -- all we needed to do was stop
building 64-bit on the basis that (a) it doesn't work; and (b) it's the
32-bit one we want anyway, because the plugins we ship in the
distribution are 32-bit (as is most of the distribution) and so are the
externally-available plugins like Java and RealPlayer.

But still we shipped it -- and in fact we're _still_ shipping it and
even running it by default instead of the proper one. The recent updates
for FC6 are still broken, as is rawhide.

At first glance it looks like the FC5 seamonkey update seems to have
been done with roughly the same level of kwality...

--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: seamonkey >= 1.0.7 for package: yelp
--> Processing Dependency: libxpcom_core.so for package: yelp
--> Restarting Dependency Resolution with new changes.
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Package seamonkey.ppc 0:1.0.7-0.6.fc5 set to be updated
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: mozilla = 37:1.7.13-1.1.fc5 for package: mozilla-devel
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: mozilla = 37:1.7.13-1.1.fc5 is needed by package mozilla-devel

--
dwmw2
¹ Core XPCom stubs are completely unimplemented -- it's a bug in the build