Fedora 7 and enabling updates repositories at install time

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Jan 9 16:50:49 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 09 January 2007 11:34, Jeffrey C. Ollie wrote:
> I've done a few kickstart installs on Xen guests using Extras + Updates
> and it has worked well:
>
> url --url http://<localmirror>/pub/fedora/linux/core/6/i386/os/
> repo --name=extras
> --baseurl=http://<localmirror>/pub/fedora/linux/extras/6/i386/ repo
> --name=updates
> --baseurl=http://<localmirror>/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/6/i386/
>
> However, when I tried to add the updates repo during an interactive
> install Anaconda complained about not finding a comps file.  I don't
> recall if it worked or not because I had some other issues during the
> install and I redid the install without bothering to enable the updates
> repo.
>
> One other thing that I've noticed is that I don't think that it's
> possible to modify the Extras repo that is preconfigured for you.  I
> would want to point Anaconda at a local (private) mirror so that I
> wouldn't have to re-download the packages that I want to install.

I just remembered what the problem was with FC6+updates.  With FC6, the
content from the extra repos gets installed after the content from the
CD/DVD/NFS base repo.  Since your updates would replace the packages from
these repos, you get into nasty install problems where you need something
from one of these repos before the next thing from your base repo.

Jeremy, anaconda folks, was there any thought about this for F7?

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora