Fedora 7 and enabling updates repositories at install time

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed Jan 10 02:17:11 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 05:25:00PM -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > I don't think it's bad to introduce this for network installs only for
> > Fedora 7. If you're doing a cd/dvd install, you already have the old
[...]
> Well, it's not really 'introducing' as the functionality is there, you just
> have to add your repo.  I hoped to get testing on this after F6 released, and
> we still can if you're doing network installs.  Same can continue through F7,
> we could even state that you could do this.  I don't want to put UI in the
> installer that we know would break if you're doing a CD install.  (UI being a
> checkbox to enable updates)

Yes, having it be a checkbox in the UI and on by default for network
installs is the new functionality I'd really like to see. If it doesn't work
for non-network installs at this point, it could be hidden, or greyed out
with explanatory text.

The minor other logic that would rationally go with this is the ability to
find the corresponding updates directory on a standard mirror layout for the
release to be installed, given the path to the main repo.