proposal: mailing list reorganization

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Thu Jan 11 04:45:52 UTC 2007

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 19:25:09 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:

> The other goal is to get rid of those lists:

Might as well kill fedora-patch-list too. It saw no uptake at all.

>  * fedora-devel -- For devel discussion. The "old" fedora-devel-list
> became quite noise and we want to avoid that with the new list. Thus the
> plan is to restrict it to well known open-source or project contributors
> and make it moderated for the rest of the world. Support questions
> regarding devel stuff are off topic here.

I question the assertion behind this. Fedora-devel-list is rather
quiet, considering the size of the project.

>  * fedora-devel-discuss -- We need an open devel list for users as
> fedora-devel is restricted. Support questions regarding devel stuff are
> on topic here, too.

Very dubious idea, but ok.

My main problem with this proposal is that you're trying to recreate
the current system of fedora-maintainers and fedora-devel-list
with no change at all.

I've read the explanations in the renaming section, but they weren't
persuasive.

Notice that Ubuntu were different before, but now they copied our current
setup of fedora-maintainers and fedora-devel-list almost exactly, only
they named them differently.

> === fedora-cvs-commits ===
>
> All commits should go here, but separated into topics  (web, docs, F7,
> devel, ...), similar how we do it for how we do for
> fedora-packaging-announce

Detail: how is it going to be separated? I'd hate to see more
square brackets in subjects.

> === fedora-maintainers to fedora-devel ===
>
> Rename to fedora-devel. Free to post for all fedora contributors (being
> in ambassadors, mentors, packagers, ...). Moderated for the rest of the
> world (we need a whole team of moderators for it). [...]

You know how easy it is to forge e-mail identities, don't you?

> === Mailman guidelines ===

>  * the reply-to should point to the list (reply_goes_to_list = this list)

I hate that, but bow to the will of the majority. I override it
manually when I compose replies anyway. It's just an annoyance.

>  * no tagging (subject_prefix = <empty> )

Thanks for that at least.

-- Pete