FC6 on a HP DC7700

Thomas Swan tswan at idigx.com
Thu Jan 11 20:07:23 UTC 2007

Mogens Kjaer wrote:
>> Thomas Swan wrote:
>>> On FC6 2.16.18-2869:
>>> # time ( let X=0; while [ $X -lt 1000 ] ; do let X=$X+1 ; done )
>>> real 0m8.631s
>>> user 0m8.385s
>>> sys 0m0.203s
>>
>> This is not my experience:
>>
>> On FC6 x86_64 2.6.18-1.2869.fc6:
>>
>> real    0m0.014s
>> user    0m0.013s
>> sys     0m0.000s
>>
>> Note, this is the 64 bit FC6, acpi=off.
>>
>> It won't boot without acpi=off, BIOS
>> is v1.06
>
> I tried installing FC6 i386 on this box:
>
> 2.6.18-1.2869.fc6:
>
> real    0m0.017s
> user    0m0.014s
> sys     0m0.003s
>
> It also needs acpi=off in order to boot.
> BIOS is still v1.06.
>
> Mogens

All of our HP DC7700 (1.86GHz processors) are having this problem.    It
will boot with no options to the kernel and with acpi=off.    Defaults
are turned on in the bios.    After about 48 hours of uptime the speed
improves by a little.   7 seconds instead of 8-10 to run the little
test.   Both on 64bit and 32bit FC6 installations.