Fedora Server Spin

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Fri Jan 12 15:34:25 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 09:13 -0500, David Malcolm wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 15:33 -0800, David Lutterkort wrote:
> > I created an initial skeleton list of packages[1] for the Fedora Serevr
> > spin [2]. The list was generated by looking at all the packages ('server
> > packages') in current Core and Extras Rawhide that own a file
> > in /etc/rc.d/init.d or /etc/init.d.
> >
> > The list is a first attempt at getting a package list together and needs
> > a lot more love from everybody; once this list is complete we'll look at
> > adding supporting packages like system-config-* and sendmail-cf.
> >
> [snip]
>
> I'm not sure that recursively sweeping through the packages requiring
> the current set would find these two, so how about adding Django and
> TurboGears?  (and the various subcomponents of the latter.  Both are in
> Extras.
>
> Django: A high-level Python Web framework
> TurboGears: Back-to-front web development in Python
>
> Rationale: Manfred might want to deploy an app developed in one of these
> frameworks to production.
>
> Similar argument may apply to ruby/rails.

okay this is insane. This is a server install. Let's have a single cd of
almost nothing.

A server install should be @Core, openssh-server, yum and that's pretty
much it.

Enough to get networking up and nothing else. After that the admin can
install the components they need for the service the server will provide
and be done with it.

no apache
no django
no rails
no tftpserver
no anything

ultra-clean - as servers should be. Then when you install a service
package you can enable the service and you know that your server is
setup properly: Only things you need are enabled.

-sv