Fedora Server Spin

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Jan 12 18:59:27 UTC 2007

On Friday 12 January 2007 13:27, Mike McGrath wrote:
> Whats the difference between a minimal install and the 'single cd' spin?

One might be usable while the other might not, depending on what games you
play with the term "minimal".  We can deliver an install that gives you
kernel, bash, and not much else.  No rpm, no shadow stuff, no network stuff,
none of that.  It's "minimal", and could be useful to somebody.  I don't want
to play games with words.  One person's minimal is another person's
bloatware.

> > But what about a customized comps file ? Is that desirable for a server
> > spin ? Absolutely; and to arrive at that we do need to talk about
> > including TurboGears and lots of other packages that people use on their
> > servers.
>
> We'll never appeal to everyone with the Server CD but we could stick
> some common tools on there as we need.  Honestly though I think the
> 'single' CD is really what most of the server guys are looking for
> anyway.

We can probably get to that.  I'm intersted in seeing a well trimmed core/base
that is the "default" install.  It is not minimal, it has things like yum,
and maybe a client or to for poking at the network.  Then we have some groups
for various server tasks that people can look into and select exactly what
they want.  Including some system-config-* stuff for managing these things,
and the x/xauth libraries for running these over ssh (no X on the box).
Also, no compiler.  All those things are gainable by yum install after the
fact, or enabling the monster repo during the install and checking those.

That sounds like a "Server" spin to me.

One thing we want to be very clear is that this is NOT designed for mission
critical or even production systems, especially with just a 13month life
span, and rapid adoption of new releases rather than backports.  While it has
the name "server" it means that this is useful if you're setting up a server,
not that we're going to offer any kind of support, do anything different for
the updates, etc...

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora