yum roll back option?

Jerry Williams jwilliam at xmission.com
Sat Jan 13 06:57:14 UTC 2007

Since there has been a lot of talk about servers.

I was wondering about a way to recover back to a previous working system.
The yum updates that I installed today broke my 3c590 network card.
I can look at /var/log/yum.log and see what was installed, but I am not sure
what versions I had before that.
I ended up swapping the network card with a 3c905 card and it works okay.
The only thing I can think to do is do a rpm -qa >rpm.txt before I run yum
and then one after so I can do a diff on the files and know what the
previous version was.

On other unix boxes I work on there is the option to save files that are
replaced and then you can clean that out after you know things are working.
Or if things don't work you can put those files back.

Also might be nice to change the yum.log to show what version was updated to
the new version instead of just what the new version is.

Example:
/var/log/yum.log
Jan 12 19:59:10 Updated: tar.i386 2:1.15.1-24.fc6

Would look like:
Jan 12 19:59:10 Updated: tar.i386 1.15.1-23.fc6 2:1.15.1-24.fc6