Updated Firefox 3 Roadmap

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Mon Jan 15 06:07:03 UTC 2007

On 15.01.2007 03:35, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-01-14 at 20:43 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> Heiko Adams schrieb:
>>> maybe you've noticed that the mozilla foundation has updates the
>>> planings and the roadmap for firefox 3.
>>> The most interesting fact is, that the release is scheduled at the third
>>> quater 2007. [...]
>> The most important fact IMHO is: End-of-life for Firefox 1.5.x.y
>> is April 2007 according to
>> http://wiki.mozilla.org/ReleaseRoadmap
>> At least FC6 will then be at the middle of it's lifespan then and sill
>> have round about 7 months to live. Do we really want to backport
>> security fixes during all that time? I thought we have a lot to do
>> already. Sure, those security fixes will be produced for RHEL5 in any
>> case, but it that really worth the trouble building and testing them for
>> Fedora?
> The "we" who will have to do all the work for this is Chris Aillon, so
> maybe we should hear his input before making grand plans ?

I didn't propose any plans, I even did not make any suggestion of
solutions I'd prefer. I just brought a detail up that's IMHO quite
important for the discussion.

And I as you Matthias hope that Chris will participate in the discussion
(I know, he's quite busy); but that does not mean we have to wait for
Chris to show up until the discussion can continue. :-)

Further: If we get the community more involved (and that's one of the
reasons behind the Core and Extras merge afaics) then maybe the
community can take over some of the maintain jobs that Chris has to give
him more free time for other, more important things. But I suppose
nearly nobody from the community would be willing or able to backport
security fixes from FF20 to FF15 (this is partly a moot point, as the
merge is mainly for F7 and later afaik; but we could move firefox to
Extras 5 or 6 if we really want).

CU
thl