yum roll back option?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 20:51:38 UTC 2007

On 1/15/07, n0dalus <n0dalus+redhat at gmail.com> wrote:
> RPM could provide a mechanism for storing various types of data and
> macros for common changes (eg changes of file attributes), so that
> when the install scripts run, any changes they make can be stored
> somewhere by rpm.

do you account for multiple packages, making changes to the same file?
 So far I see  assumptions being made about simple one-to-one mapping
of packages to file changes.
But if foo and bar both edit a file as part of scriptlet action, what
happens if you rollback bar but not foo or foo and not bar? Simple
diffs of file state at package install time are not necessarily
adequate, unless you can garuntee that scriplets from multiple
packages do not re-edit files. Can we be so sure of that?

-jef"I know! How about we just have rpm make an rdiff-backup snapshot
of the full system state with each package installation"spaleta