Smarter install - Headless

Lamont Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Tue Jan 16 16:59:31 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 16 January 2007 09:38am, Jerry Williams wrote:
[snip]
> > > If no usb start network with dhcp and look for
> > > Web server linux ks=http://fedora7.<domain from dhcp>/ks.cfg
> > > Or maybe linux ks=http://fedora7.<domain from dhcp>/<mac address>.cfg
> >
> > Why?  Why not just use DHCP "nextserver" and "filename" options to get
> > the kickstart file via NFS?

OK.  I guess I'm confused by these:

> That is easy at home, not so easy at work

Why is it so hard to add two little line to a DHCP server at work yet so easy
at home?  I would have to guess that you have a lot of red tape to deal with
or something like that.

> and they try really hard not to
> use nfs if possible.

Why?  What's wrong with NFS?

Network installs via either HTTP or FTP take longer (i.e. are slower) than via
NFS.
--
Lamont Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor

NOTE:  All messages from this email address should be digitally signed with my
       0xDC0DD409 GPG key. It is available on the pgp.mit.edu keyserver as
       well as other keyservers that sync with MIT's.