Fedora 7 - USB Install method - Everything ISO.

Lamont Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Tue Jan 16 17:25:31 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 16 January 2007 10:08am, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 09:42 -0700, Lamont Peterson wrote:

> > > ISOs are convenient from a distribution standpoint just to ensure that
> > > things were downloaded correctly[1].  I can see how spending some time
> > > to make the "install from a USB device" a little bit easier could
> > > definitely have advantages.
> >
> > Agree.  But perhaps it's not an ISO, but just a "usb-disk.cpio" that's
> > 8GB+ (whatever) in size.  That could be downloaded and extracted to
> > wherever, be it a USB disk or a file server (NFS, etc.).
>
> We support having the ISO being accessed over NFS.  And you can loopback
> mount for HTTP/FTP.  In the interest of our mirrors not hunting me down
> and killing me, I'd prefer to have as few different copies of the "same"
> bits as possible :-)

Very good point.

So, I'll just keep using the full os/ + updates repo.  I think that's the best
solution for both network and hard drive installs when people want the full
distribution.
--
Lamont Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor

NOTE:  All messages from this email address should be digitally signed with my
       0xDC0DD409 GPG key. It is available on the pgp.mit.edu keyserver as
       well as other keyservers that sync with MIT's.