Fedora 7 - USB Install method - Everything ISO.

Naoki naoki at valuecommerce.com
Wed Jan 17 02:37:08 UTC 2007

> Agree.  But perhaps it's not an ISO, but just a "usb-disk.cpio" that's 8GB+
> (whatever) in size.  That could be downloaded and extracted to wherever, be
> it a USB disk or a file server (NFS, etc.).

The point of an ISO, is you can "dd" it and have a bootable device in
one step. Just an ease of use thing really. Although see comments
below ..

> Agreed.  For those environments, network installs typically make much more
> sense.  Even on my home systems, I do network installs when I can because
> it's typically faster and easier than swapping CDs or burning DVDs.

I've often argued about dropping ISOs altogether in favor of just
network installs.  That tends to catch of lot of flack from the "I
download at the office and install at home", or, "I live in X where
broad band is too costly" crowds. All of which are valid points I might
add. So if we're making ISOs already, how about one that would be far
more practical than DVD for many people.

With a large ISO for other storage mediums I envisage something like
this :

* Download it.
* "dd" it to device.
* Write my custom kickstart file.
* Go to server / home box / whatever
* Plug in / Boot / Go play with the dogs.

And changing the kickstart file doesn't require more cost (media).

The same could probably be done by just copying the mirror to a
removable device, making it bootable etc, but that's not a currently
documented install method.

> However, to set up a network installation with all available packages, I would
> probably just continue to create my own mirror of the released packages and
> of the updates repo.  But I agree that having a single file to download for
> initial setup of such file servers would be advantageous.  It could also be
> the "roll-your-own-fedora-spin-kit" with all fedora packages + the spin tools
> (to build DVD and CD ISOs).

Now here is where I really start to like the idea.  I also very much
agree with the point made by Mr Katz when he says "I'd prefer to have as
few different copies of the "same" bits as possible".

If there was a simple tool could download selected packages (and package
groups) from selected repos, and then 'burn' it to a bootable device it
would be the holy grail. It would allow totally flexible/custom builds.
Although it's nothing that can't already be done with a network install
setup, but as discussed that isn't always feasible for people.

Part of 'system-config-kickstart' ?