Fedora 7 - USB Install method - Everything ISO.

Naoki naoki at valuecommerce.com
Wed Jan 17 04:35:38 UTC 2007

> On Tuesday 16 January 2007 21:37, Naoki wrote:
> > If there was a simple tool could download selected packages (and package
> > groups) from selected repos, and then 'burn' it to a bootable device it
> > would be the holy grail. It would allow totally flexible/custom builds.
> > Although it's nothing that can't already be done with a network install
> > setup, but as discussed that isn't always feasible for people.
>
> http://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/pungi

Aha!! That sounds wonderful :

"We'll need to do five basic tasks:

        1) Gather packages from repos into a directory tree
        2) Run anaconda tools (buildinstall) on said directory tree
        3) Split tree into CD iso size chunks
        4) Create isos of the chunks
        5) Sanity check the tree"

I'd suggest variable sized ISO chunks rather than CD specific, but I
understand it's pretty much a work in progress.

In the interim though, see any merit in an everything ISO?  Or is that
just too big for mirrors and networks to deal with?

By the sounds of things there is an non-documented alternative of grab
mirror, stick on storage device and (somehow) make your own bootable,
installable image that functions like a DVD.

If anybody knows the "somehow" bit I'd love to know and would be happy
to document.