plans for long term support releases?

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Wed Jan 17 09:05:45 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 January 2007 17:26, Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:
>> This is why I suggested an more stable (in terms of changes) LTS spin,
>> perhaps, for every 2-4 normal Fedora releases, to provide a Fedora that
>> could actually be used in these situations. (i know it is the way it is
>> for a reason, so this is in no way an attempt to bad-mouth Fedora as it
>> is. It's meant as a suggestion for further improvement). I also realize
>> that providing such a release would be very much like RHEL and CentOS,
>> but I got the impression that we were starting to open up and become
>> more than the fast-rolling testbed distro that will be snapshot and
>> stabilized into RHEL, in which case something like this could help us to
>> reach more users/uses for Fedora.
>
> So every 2 to 4 releases of Fedora, call something a LTS release, do more QA
> and different update styles for it, support it for a long time, and market it
> as the Fedora for production use.
>
> Wait, how is this _not_ RHEL/CentOS?

Right now it may be the same thing, but if Fedora continues to evolve to
something *larger* than a bleeding edge RHEL/CentOS, as there's been
much talk about recently (realistically or not?!?), it would be great to
have something to handle these cases with a real Fedora.
I completely agree that right now, for my servers, RHEL/CentOS is
probably exactly what I'm looking for. And that's also why most my
servers actually run RHEL today.

Also, this may not be doable (right now or ever), I'm mentioning it as
something to be *considered*, because there are enough of users out
there who could do with longer periods of active maintenance for their
servers.

/Thomas