Updated Firefox 3 Roadmap

Christopher Ailllon caillon at redhat.com
Thu Jan 18 05:50:56 UTC 2007

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Heiko Adams schrieb:
>> maybe you've noticed that the mozilla foundation has updates the
>> planings and the roadmap for firefox 3.
>> The most interesting fact is, that the release is scheduled at the third
>> quater 2007. [...]
>
> The most important fact IMHO is: End-of-life for Firefox 1.5.x.y
> is April 2007 according to
> http://wiki.mozilla.org/ReleaseRoadmap

That's a silly terminology for it.  It's not really End-of-life.  There
will be releases past that point, it's just that they won't be done in
the traditional fashion: meaning, no generic binaries posted by
mozilla.org.  They will follow this strategy for 3.0 and at some future
date will do it for 2.0.0.x.  There will be releases off 1.5 that
several people including myself have signed up to drive.

> At least FC6 will then be at the middle of it's lifespan then and sill
> have round about 7 months to live. Do we really want to backport
> security fixes during all that time? I thought we have a lot to do
> already. Sure, those security fixes will be produced for RHEL5 in any
> case, but it that really worth the trouble building and testing them for
> Fedora?

Why not?  They have to get backported anyway, and if there are security
bugs, then no matter what there is building and testing just with
different versions.  In fact, it's probably less work to do it this way
because they I can focus on less source bases.

Bottom line is there is nothing new here to me so it doesn't really
change my thinking.