Non UTF-8 charset fallback support in GLib (Was Re: plans for long term support releases?)

Gianluca Sforna giallu at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 15:07:23 UTC 2007

On 1/18/07, Horst H. von Brand <vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl> wrote:
> Daniel Yek <dyek at real.com> wrote:
> > At 09:31 PM 1/17/2007, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > >On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 23:10:14 +0100,
> > >   Ola Thoresen <redhat at olen.net> wrote:
>
> [...]
> >
> > Not sure if these two utilities could help:
> > (1) iconv -f old-encoding -t UTF-8 filename > newfilename
> >
> > (2) utf8ize
>
> recode (in Extras, I think).

I will actually have the issue of converting on the next major update
of mantis, because the 1.1 serie will introduce UTF-8 enconding for
the bug database.

Any suggestion for this case? I will have to figure out to translate
older databases fields content into UTF-8 (possibly as part of the rpm
transaction)
FYI, the Fedora package is using the MySQL backend