plans for long term support releases?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu Jan 18 17:25:15 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 08:38:05 +0100,
  Ola Thoresen <redhat at olen.net> wrote:

> The point is that everyone who has used linux since before the switch to
> utf8 has lots of files in latin-1 (for instance) encoding.  Filesystems
> with filenames with latin-1 characters (not only ascii), we have old
> servers with OSes that does not use utf8 that we need to connect to and
> so on.

I don't believe that. This may affect some users, but it is hardly everyone.
Most US users are going to just be using the ASCII subset of Latin 1. They
may have a few saved email messages with some nonascii characters, but those
will probably be saved in mail folders where the proper encoding is also
saved. I wouldn't expect nonASCII characters in filenames or most text files.

> I guess the problem is much bigger in Europe than in many other places,
> as we have a love for all kinds of different characters - and many
> people also use them in their filenames and passwords.

That is what I would have expected.