New VCS Choice; SCM SIG

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 22:50:15 UTC 2007

Hey all,

Infrastructure, Extras, and the Board have had sporadic talks about
changing over from cvs to another version control system and what that
entails.  Part of the discussions during the fedora-summit showed that
we can reimplement dist-cvs in another VCS (for instance, dist-hg) with
minimal change in workflow but there are some higher level questions
about what things we want to make easy that we should answer first.  The
SCM SIG [1]_ is responsible for driving this discussion and as part of
that, we're soliciting input on what our high level goals are.

Here's an initial list of questions that need to be answered.  We will
be discussing this and likely making some decisions at FudCon so we're
hoping we can get some good input of these goals now to make sure we
take into account all the goals that people want the new system to
address.

VCS Redesign Plan[2]_

We need to answer these overarching goals before we can decide how to
redesign the VCS.

== Goals that the VCS can Help Achieve ==
Decide on goals and prioritize them so we can evaluate what
architectures implement these features the best.

 * Work closer with upstream
 * Work closer with downstream
 * Make it easy to manage large numbers of patches
 * Keep the barrier of entry for new contributors low

== High Level Architecture ==
There are some highlevel design decisions that will have an effect on
whichever underlying VCS we use.  The architecture will enable us to
more effectively achieve our goals.

 * Exploded trees
 * Patches & spec plus lookaside cache

== Workflow for the VCS ==
 * jcollie has started a page that abstracts our current workflow with
cvs-dist:
  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/VersionControl/Operations

== What VCS Makes it Easiest to Implement our Goals ==
After we answer the above questions we can answer this.

[1]_: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/SCMSig

[2]_ : This information is recorded on the wiki at:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/VersionControl/HighLevelRedesign

-Toshio