Fixing startup behavior of kde net apps

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 11:17:03 UTC 2007

I'd like to add the following goal for fc7:

All apps that require net connection for startup should be modified to only
start if a network connection is available.

For example, when I login the following start:

kopete
kontact (kmail)
akregator
ksmarttray

If my net connection is not up, every one of these things pops up all kinds
of windows with error messages.

When I brought up this issue on the NM develop list, it was mentioned that
suse had modified this apps to fix this behavior.  I don't know if they fed
the changes upstream.

I would guess that the right thing to do is to listen on dbus for network
connection being up?

In any case, the current behavior is awful and should be fixed.