Fedora 7 encrypted root partition

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri Jan 19 22:37:54 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 18:30:51 +0000,
  Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> Talking to a co-worker today, he mentioned that if Fedora could support
> [1] an encrypted root filesystem he would switch to Fedora in a
> heartbeat. We appear to be 99% of the way there with LUKS, and I'm
> pretty sure you can hack encrypted root filesystem into FC6, but it
> would be great to have a:
>
> Encrypt partition to protect data [X]
>
> in anaconda. Even protecting just the "home" partition would be great,
> although everything would be perfect.
>
> What do you think?

People are working on making this easier to do, though I don't think it
will be part of Anaconda for Fedora 7 since there isn't much time left.
Take a look at:
 http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureEncryptedFilesystems

While Jermey brings up some issues in his response, there are a lot of people
that control the whole machine and don't need different encryption for
different files and for which being able to stack their preferred file system
with dmcrypt (and keeping things like write barriers working properly) would
be a good thing. I don't think you need X working to be able to prompt people.
And while a native language prompt would be nice, I don't see that as being
critical at the get go. I can see the keymap being an issue, as that being
messed up is going to leave you locked out.