vte (Re: rawhide report: 20070119 changes)

Tomasz Kłoczko kloczek at zie.pg.gda.pl
Sun Jan 21 16:59:46 UTC 2007

Dnia 19-01-2007, pią o godzinie 03:12 -0500, buildsys at redhat.com
napisał(a):
[..]
> dump-0.4b41-3.fc7
> -----------------
> * Thu Jan 18 2007 Adam Tkac <atkac redhat com> 0.4b41-3.fc7
> - dump is now linked dynamically
> - removed termcap dependency

BTW all good changes like removing all libtermcap dependencies I want
inform about some interesting from this point of view package like vte.

This package have indirect dependencies with /etc/termcap.
vte package provides library with terminal widget but .. contains much
more bloated code like internal /etc/termcap parser which is used
indepednedntly from is libvte was linked with libtermcap or libncurses.
All application which uses libvte in envireoment without /etc/termcap or
own termcap copy from %{_datadir}/vte/termcap/ simple crashes.
Test case:

# vm /etc/termcap{,-}
# mv /usr/share/vte/termcap{,-}
$ gnome-terminal

Interesting but on run on stdout is writed information about three times
initialise GTK Accessibility Module and Bonobo accessibility support
(?).
IMO vte and gnome-terminal they are most broken (by design) parts of
GNOME desktop.

For facts for above:

$ ldd /usr/bin/gnome-terminal | wc -l
79
$ ls -l /usr/lib/libvte.so.9.1.8
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 747376 Jan 10 20:22 /usr/lib/libvte.so.9.1.8

libvte have ~740KB and this is only library and for compare .. xterm
which is complet application have ~390KB binary size.
On each keyboard action is touched /proc/<pid>/cwd.
Also package vte installs many small programs and scripts which IMO are
completly useless and all this additions in src/Makefile.am source tree
can be moved to noinst_PROGRAMS.
On my desktop system gnome-terminal runed with --use-factory for display
15-20 terminals with 135x60 geometry with 5k lines history in peak can
take ~200MB private heap (don't ask me for what :)

kloczek