Fedora 7 encrypted root partition

Gianluca Sforna giallu at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 07:45:20 UTC 2007

On 1/22/07, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Jeremy Katz <katzj <at> redhat.com> writes:
> > The problem with doing this is that there really isn't any way to sanely
> > prompt a user in their native language and allowing for their native
> > keymap for a password prior to mounting the rootfs (and potentially
> > more).
>
> Well, I think understanding "password:" is not a big problem in most
> countries. ;-) As for the keymap, if you only allow alphanumeric characters (no
> brackets, asterisk or whatever), the US keymap won't be that big of a problem.

Have you ever seen a french KB?

> I know where the numbers and letters on the US keyboard are (same as on my
> German one except that Y and Z are swapped), and I think most computer-savvy
> people here in Austria know that too.

So it could be good IF we were targetting computer-savvy people exclusively

> I think the importance of NLS is often overrated.

Possibly, but here we are talking about the risk of being locked out
from your own system. Things are to be bulletproof in this area or we
are not going to have good press coverage...

On a side note: why on earth should we care about encrypting stuff
outside /home ?