dkms for fc7?

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Mon Jan 22 16:56:35 UTC 2007

JK> DKMS also adds another database that keeps track of the software
JK> you have installed.

So do Perl and Python and PHP and Ruby and various other complex
subsystems, and yet we manage to work with those as well, mainly by
having proper packaging guidelines, making the assumption that users
will simply use rpm or yum to install things and by offering little or
no help to them when they don't.

So I'm a bit confused; are you saying that somehow dkms does not
permit us to do the same thing?  Or that somehow when you use RPM to
install a dkms-managed kernel module, it no longer shows up with rpm
-q?

JK> Heck, why don't we also stop packaging perl modules as RPMs.  I
JK> mean, there's CPAN, right?

This is a rather bizarre non-sequitur, I'm afraid.  Obviously we could
do that, but we don't.

JK> And there's now the cheeseshop + setuptools for python.

Yes, there is, but I don't see how that has any bearing on dkms.

 - J<