New VCS Choice; SCM SIG

Kjartan Maraas kmaraas at broadpark.no
Tue Jan 23 18:46:49 UTC 2007

tir, 23.01.2007 kl. 19.18 +0100, skrev Ralf Corsepius:
> On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 11:57 -0500, Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
> > Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
> > > Please don't forget that these still qualify as exotic and rarely used
> > > tools, which have had comparable little exposure, and therefore probably
> > > suffer from a lot of bugs and unknowns. Also, don't forget that FE is
> > > supposed to be easily usable by many people. IMO, it would qualify as a
> > > fault to switch to using something "exotic".
> >
> > I sure beg to differ.  Open your eyes - all of X.org, mesa, the kernel, cairo,
> > hal is developed in git.
>
> And almost the rest of the world uses CVS and svn, even
> sources.redhat.com still uses CVS ... GCC uses a monsterous svn.

I seem to remember that GNOME developers have complained about CVS since
the very inception of the project, so the fact that people are using CVS
doesn't really have to mean that it's the best tool for the job.

We recently moved to svn though and that has had some fairly obvious
advantages, but also it is very demanding on disk space compared to CVS.

> Does sourceforge support git?

I don't know, but you can use rsync:// ssh:// http:// and other
protocols in addition to the native git protocol which make it easier to
access source repos from behind firewalls too.

Cheers
Kjartan