New VCS Choice; SCM SIG

Kristian Høgsberg krh at redhat.com
Tue Jan 23 19:04:23 UTC 2007

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 11:57 -0500, Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
>> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
>>> Please don't forget that these still qualify as exotic and rarely used
>>> tools, which have had comparable little exposure, and therefore probably
>>> suffer from a lot of bugs and unknowns. Also, don't forget that FE is
>>> supposed to be easily usable by many people. IMO, it would qualify as a
>>> fault to switch to using something "exotic".
>> I sure beg to differ.  Open your eyes - all of X.org, mesa, the kernel, cairo,
>> hal is developed in git.
>
> And almost the rest of the world uses CVS and svn, even
> sources.redhat.com still uses CVS ... GCC uses a monsterous svn.

My point was that git certainly isn't the exotic curiosity you try to paint it
as.  It's way beyond critical mass and I'd wager at least as stable as CVS at
this point.  Another point is that these projects likely care more about VCS
than your average sourceforge project does, and as such have made much more
informed decisions about this than the many projects out there that have just
gone with the default lowest common denominator.

> Does sourceforge support git?

Is sourceforge useful?

Kristian