New VCS Choice; SCM SIG

Kristian Høgsberg krh at redhat.com
Tue Jan 23 19:25:24 UTC 2007

Mike McGrath wrote:
> On 1/23/07, Kristian Høgsberg <krh at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> My point was that git certainly isn't the exotic curiosity you try to
>> paint it
>> as.  It's way beyond critical mass and I'd wager at least as stable as
>> CVS at
>> this point.  Another point is that these projects likely care more
>> about VCS
>> than your average sourceforge project does, and as such have made much
>> more
>> informed decisions about this than the many projects out there that
>> have just
>> gone with the default lowest common denominator.
>
> I think in general the idea has been distributed SCM vs
> non-distributed SCM.  Some of us have been looking at git and hg on
> the distributed side and IIRC, the general consensus is that git is
> just very unpolished at this point.

Yes, there's the overall decision about wether we go for a non-distributed or
a distributed system.  And I think that *that's* where there is consencus
right now, specifically that it doesn't make sense to switch unless we go for
a distributed system (viz the GNOME disaster).

However, I don't know of any consensus towards hg.  I know that Jesse wasn't
impressed when he did the dist-git prototype, but I think he judged it too
quickly.  As I see it, git has a lot more buy-in from the upstream open source
projects that we package and ship in fedora, and a lot of packagers are also
upstream developers and know git already.  Name *any* open source project that
we ship that is developed in hg?  One of the big arguments against distributed
version control systems is that "there are so many, clearly it must still be
an academic experiment".  Now that git is finally gaining momentum, do we
really want to diffuse that by picking hg for such a high profile conversion?
And with the 1.5.0 release coming out any day now, a lot of the user interface
warts have been fixed.

Kristian