Any plans to add support for new features of laptops targeting Vista?

John W. Linville linville at redhat.com
Thu Jan 25 13:48:44 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 02:05:25AM -0800, Miles Lane wrote:

> This article introduces a bunch of new laptop technologies that
> Microsoft is supporting in Vista.  According to the article,

> Is there any hardware specs are out there for these
> new chunks of hardware?
>
> Here's an article discussing the new gizmos:
> http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/01/23/windows_vista_laptops/page3.html

Sounds kinda cool.  ReadyBoost sounds to me like a wizard for
using memory cards as swap space.  ReadyDrive sounds like it could
be self-contained in new hard drives, but I suppose it might need
some OS support or enablement.  SuperFetch sounds like an actual OS
component -- something to make their VM more purposely aware of the
ReadyBoost and ReadyDrive features.

SideShow sounds cool, but it really does just look to be a built-in
PDA.  It would be good get some specs to see if we could get Opie
or somesuch ready for it, and Fedora ready to sync with it "out of
the box".

Anyone have more technical information?  I wonder how much the vendors
are allowed to share with us?

John
--
John W. Linville