Compiz vs. OpenGL using programs

Kristian Høgsberg krh at redhat.com
Thu Jan 25 18:59:16 UTC 2007

Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Before I start filing bugs: is it expected that using compiz while running
> applications that use OpenGL themselves results in funny display programs?
>
> Or is this supposed to work and not doing so is a driver bug?

This is a known bug, but it requires significant changes in the underlying
rendering stack to fix it. It's not a per driver thing, direct rendering stack
currently doesn't work with composite.  I think compiz will unredirect
fullscreen OpenGL windows, so fullscreen games and the like should work.

Things are slowly starting to fall into place to allow us to fix this problem,
but for now, the fix is to either go back to a non-composited desktop, or live
with the rendering artifatcs.

cheers,
Kristian