/etc/init.d in the default $PATH ?

Jerry Williams jwilliam at xmission.com
Mon Jan 29 02:53:21 UTC 2007

That is interesting.
cd /etc/init.d
service wi<TAB> works
Doesn't seem to matter if /etc/init.d is in the PATH or not.
If you aren't in /etc/init.d service wi<TAB> doesn't work even if
/etc/init.d is in your PATH.

I don’t' think that /etc/init.d should be in your path.
Either use the service command or cd /etc/init.d and use ./command.
Or /etc/init.d/command.

I seem to always cd to /etc/init.d to look most of the time I can't remember
the name of a service anyway.