/etc/init.d in the default $PATH ?

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Mon Jan 29 08:22:03 UTC 2007

Florin Andrei wrote:
> Warren Togami wrote:
>> Florin Andrei wrote:
>>> So, what it the rationale for /etc/init.d not being in the default
>>> $PATH, for root at least?
>>>

>> /etc/rc.d/init.d/spamassassin
>> /usr/bin/spamassassin
>>
>> Which should run when you run 'spamassassin'?
>>
>> Ambiguity is bad.
>
> Correct.
>
> OTOH, if all files in /etc/init.d would be named init-<service-name> or
> something like that, then the ambiguity would disappear and the
> /etc/init.d could be added to the default $PATH.

notations such as "service init-sshd restart" would be really annoying.

If people think that we should provide some scheme of tab completion for
service operations, perhaps a modded rc<initscript> link, like SUSE
provides would be the best (?!?) solution.

There's really no way that there should be PATH to /etc/init.d, seriously.

/Thomas