rawhide report: 20070127 changes

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Mon Jan 29 16:41:38 UTC 2007

Dave Jones (davej at redhat.com) said:
>  > > I think Bill said it kept reordering network devices.  Missing symlinks and
>  > > such.
>  >
>  > That kernel option should have nothing to do with network devices for
>  > the 2.6.19 kernel release, so I would be very supprised if it changed
>  > anything.
>
> For the kernel in question, this was 2.6.20rc5.
> (I don't think the option even existed back in .19 ?)

The code that we have that writes the initial network configuration
that maps mac addresses <-> device names  (so that we handle modules
loaded in arbitrary order) associates network devices with physical
devices by following net:XXXX symlinks in /sys/bus/pci/devices/XXX,
/sys/bus/pcmcia/devices/XXXX, /sys/bus/xen/devices/XXX, etc.

The new code (that removes those links) breaks this hard, and
rearchitecting everything to have a second pass that walks /sys/class/net/XXX
links and associates them with already probed/discovered devices
is not something I'm doing at this stage of the freeze.

Bill