Adding modules to Fedora's kernel package

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Tue Jan 30 21:36:30 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 10:55:14PM +0100, Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:

 > It doesn't get loaded by default thought, even on systems which support it.
 >
 > You could create a file, /etc/sysconfig/modules/sumthinorother.modules,
 > containing something like:
 >
 > ---
 > #!/bin/sh
 > for i in hdaps; do
 >          /sbin/modprobe $i >/dev/null 2>&1
 > done
 > ---

Nnngh.. This driver doesn't have export anything useful like PCI IDs to
make autoloading easy.  Its init routine does checking of DMI tables
to make it only load on specific laptops.  (Which is actually quite
sensible).

Short of adding a script to call dmidecode to modprobe if necessary,
I can't think of a clean way of doing this.
Perhaps just making it built-in instead of modular is the best option,
at least for now in FC6 and previous.

		Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk