Smolt: Fedora Hardware Profiler

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Jan 31 16:08:21 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 09:26 -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> Hey guys, smolt is in a state now where it can be released and tested
> by the general public.  Currently smolt-firstboot has firstboot
> integration with opt in/out.  My question for the dev's is:
>
> Do we as a community want to include this by default in Fedora 7?
OK, now that you have asked, you'll be prepared to facing a very clear
answer: NO, NEVER.

It must be strictly optional and even then, it should require explicit
interactive user activation.

I am not willing to accept any unsupervised, non-opt-in data
transmission from any package in Fedora and will prepare a proposal to
change the Fedora Package Guidelines accordingly.

Ralf