Smolt: Fedora Hardware Profiler

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Wed Jan 31 17:16:02 UTC 2007

At 10:20 AM -0600 1/31/07, Mike McGrath wrote:
>On 1/31/07, Ralf Ertzinger <fedora at camperquake.de> wrote:
>> > Lucky for me then, I based the firstboot integration off of the EULA.
>> > Its very easy to opt out of.
>>
>> It should not be easy to out out of. It might be acceptable to be easy to
>> opt in into.
>>

>Meh, if someone is clicking next, next, next.  That's their problem.
>Try out the firstboot method first... It defaults to no with a "are
>you sure you mean no" dialog.  I'm sure the verbage could be made more
>clear... Seriously, try it first.

I haven't tried it.  I probably wouldn't freak if it came up on first boot.

How about the smolt package having a list of "well known" hardware:
hardware that is already known to work, or to not work for good reason.  If
the computer has only "well known" hardware, don't bother the user at all.
(Unless some of it is known to be bad; it might be polite to mention that.)
If there is unlisted hardware, offer to query a server to find out how
"interesting" it is, in order to help the user make an informed choice.
(Be sure to mention that /all/ the hardware will be reported on opt-in, in
case of interactions.)  Even secretive people might want to opt in if they
thought it would really help, and they'd surely be less offended in the
first place.