Smolt: Fedora Hardware Profiler

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Wed Jan 31 17:30:37 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 31 January 2007 11:15, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> It must be opt-in.
>
> 1. May-be you should consider to talk to RH legal.
> In many parts of this world opt-out is ILLEGAL.
>
> 2. It should be is a matter of fairness to make it opt-in.
>
> 3. In many parts of this world SPY-WARE like yours is a very hot
> political topic. You are at risk at exposing Fedora to be subjects to
> such flames.  Even Microsoft has learned their lessons and made
> "registration opt-in", now you are committing the same FAULT.
Ralf,

it is not registration, it is not spy ware.  it is a voluntary hardware
profile. there is no way to know that a profile is yours unless you give me
your unique hardware id  that is generated on your system at package install
time.   This will help fedora in many ways.

it is opt-in   you can choose to install or not install smolt. you can choose
to sumbit a profile at any time  or you can chose to never submit a profile.

Right now what we would like to do is have at firstboot time a screen where
the user can say yes  send my hardware profile in.  nothing more nothing
less.

Feel free to look at the code.  there is no package list sent, no ip, no
anything that can be associated to you without you giving me your id.

Say you are having a weird X issue  you could give your ID to the x team and
they can look at your profile and try to replicate it to determine the bug,
fix, and possibly test it.

from http://publictest4.fedora.redhat.com/raw

UUID  cc4dfded-42d8-489d-af68-c2ff14438d1c
  OS  Aurora SPARC Linux release 2.90 (Aurora Corona)
  platform  sparc64
  bogomips  2001.0
  systemMemory  16229
  systemSwap  3996
  CPUVendor  sun4v - ultrasparc t1 (niagara)
  numCPUs  32
  CPUSpeed  1000.0
  language  en_US.UTF-8
  defaultRunlevel  3
  vendor  sun
  system  Sun Fire(TM) T1000
Bus Class Driver Description
pci  OTHER  unknown  Broadcom|EPB PCI-Express to PCI-X Bridge
  pci  OTHER  tg3  Broadcom Corporation|NetXtreme BCM5714 Gigabit Ethernet
  MISC  NETWORK  unknown  Networking Interface
  pci  OTHER  tg3  Broadcom Corporation|NetXtreme BCM5714 Gigabit Ethernet
  MISC  NETWORK  unknown  Networking Interface
  pci  OTHER  unknown  Broadcom|HT1000 PCI/PCI-X bridge
  pci  OTHER  tg3  Broadcom Corporation|NetXtreme BCM5704 Gigabit Ethernet
  MISC  NETWORK  unknown  Networking Interface
  pci  OTHER  tg3  Broadcom Corporation|NetXtreme BCM5704 Gigabit Ethernet
  MISC  NETWORK  unknown  Networking Interface
  pci  SCSI  mptsas  LSI Logic / Symbios Logic|SAS1064 PCI-X Fusion-MPT SAS
  scsi  HD  unknown  ATA|ST3320620AS

thats one of my systems  that is all that gets sent.

And again to re-iterate it is entirely voluntary "you choose" to submit or not
your profile

--
 ,-._|\    Dennis Gilmore, RHCE
/Aussie\   Proud Australian