To NX or not to NX

Lamont Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Mon Jan 1 20:34:41 UTC 2007

On Monday 01 January 2007 08:56am, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Looking through dmesg on my laptop, I noticed the following:
>
> Using x86 segment limits to approximate NX protection
>
> While this is certainly nice, the processor is quite capable of real
> NX:
>
> $ grep nx /proc/cpuinfo
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov
> pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx constant_tsc pni
> monitor vmx est tm2 xtpr flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce
> cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
> pbe nx constant_tsc pni monitor vmx est tm2 xtpr

Are you certain the proc(s) really does/do support nx?  Intel chips are
infamous for reporting flags for features that they don't actually support.
For example, on this notebook:

# grep flags /proc/cpuinfo
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 mtrr pge mca cmov pat
pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm

I know for certain that this proc does not support HyperThreading or PAE, but
there they are anyway.

> Is there a reason this is not used?

Sorry, I can't comment on this as I have no knowledge about what the fedora
kernels configured regarding NX.

--
Lamont Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor

NOTE:  All messages from this email address should be digitally signed with my
       0xDC0DD409 GPG key. It is available on the pgp.mit.edu keyserver as
       well as other keyservers that sync with MIT's.