To NX or not to NX

Lamont Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Mon Jan 1 20:59:39 UTC 2007

On Monday 01 January 2007 01:46pm, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > Are you certain the proc(s) really does/do support nx?  Intel chips are
> > infamous for reporting flags for features that they don't actually
> > support. For example, on this notebook:
> >
> > # grep flags /proc/cpuinfo
> > flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 mtrr pge mca cmov
> > pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
> >
> > I know for certain that this proc does not support HyperThreading or PAE,
> > but there they are anyway.
>
> your cpu DOES support PAE.... (really, it won't report it otherwise)

This CPU is a nearly 5 year old mobile Pentium4 (1.9GHz).  I know that PAE Xen
kernels won't work on here whereas the non-PAE ones do.  Also, I didn't think
any of the Pentium 4's suppored PAE until sometime in the last year or two.

> And it supports HT reporting (that is what "ht" means, it supports
> reporting the number of siblings via cpuid, it's a very common
> misperception of people to think it means your cpu has 2 hyperthreading
> threads)

OK. I can see that.  Thanks for the info.
--
Lamont Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor

NOTE:  All messages from this email address should be digitally signed with my
       0xDC0DD409 GPG key. It is available on the pgp.mit.edu keyserver as
       well as other keyservers that sync with MIT's.