musicpd

Arjan van de Ven arjan at fenrus.demon.nl
Thu Jan 4 10:30:37 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-03 at 19:10 -0800, Peter Gordon wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 00:09 +0100, David Nielsen wrote:
> > It might be that mpd is designed in such a way that it directly depends
> > on things we can't ship like an mp3 decoder. Thus it needs to be in
> > Livna (one could argue that the clients then also should be in Livna).
>
> Exactly the case, as I understand it. It needs libmad (MP3-decoding
> library) an includes an internal copy of it in the main source tarball.

surely this can be fixed; I assume all it needs is an ID tag reader, not
the actual sound decoding part. The ID tag stuff isn't patented, only
the sound encoding/decoding, so in principle I'd think that such a
program could be fully in Extras, even though it might mean a bit of
surgery on the upstream tarbal ;(