whatever happened to the Alt+F2 installer shell?

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Thu Jan 4 11:45:30 UTC 2007

David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 11:25 +0100, Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:
>> I'm having some problems installing using current rawhide boot.iso
>> under VMware. It *seems like* there could be a regression in the
>> pcnet32 driver or something, because it looks like the NIC is found
>> but the network is down.
>
> It's not the network driver -- it's dhcp. Set the address manually and
> it should work OK.

That doesn't seem to do it.

On the Alt+F3 message screen, I get

WARNING: no network link determined on eth0

Continuing anyway, with manual IPv4 addy, it fails after entering the
details about my FTP source server.

ERROR: cannot determine address family of ftpserver.local.net

Also I tried monitoring the virtual network I'm using for this and there
is no traffic from the fc7/rawhide VM.

The same problem exists if using a virtual e1000 device instead of the
default pcnet32, so it's probably not a driver problem anyway. Although
I have to admit, that I don't have a lot of experience with the virtual
e1000 card.

I'll try and see if this problem exists on a random physical box too.

/Thomas