usb-storage reload

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Thu Jan 4 21:55:11 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 16:45 -0500, Konrad Rzeszutek wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 12:16:28PM -0800, Pete Zaitcev wrote:
> > Gentlemen:
> >
> > IBM Bladecenter is killing me slowly for 4th year in a row. But now it
> > seems a good time to ask, why don't we stop reloading usb-storage?
> > Since the mount-by-label is essentially mandatory with the migration
> > to SATA, I do not see how having sda pointing to a floppy can harm
> > anything anymore.
>
> Peter Jones will probably know this better, but how does this relate
> to creation of 'devices.map' and 'grub.conf' file? I gather that
> the devices.map would then have:
>
> (hd0)     /dev/sdb
>
> and since this file is used by GRUB to figure out which disk
> is what device, this could screw GRUB up b/c (hd0) would point
> to a non-existing device (sda would have been the right drive).

No, grub handles this fine.  The grub device.map just tells the
grub-install script which device in /dev to open and what BIOS drive to
treat it as where (hd0) = 0x80, (hd1) = 0x81, etc.  If the first scsi
disk is mapped to /dev/sdb, but it is in fact the boot disk, then the
above device line works fine as it has grub write the various boot stage
binary bits to /dev/sdb and causes the binary bits to ask for bios
device 0x80 when actually used to boot the machine.