Fedora 7

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 00:25:15 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 01:12 +0100, David Nielsen wrote:
> tor, 04 01 2007 kl. 14:50 -0500, skrev Bill Nottingham:
>
> > And, what would a release be without features. We've identified
> > 28 features that we'd like to include in the release, available
> > at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/7/Features:
>
> There was for a long time interest in replacing the much hated esd with
> another solution. Pulseaudio was suggested and is already in Extras. To
> be a drop in replacement I think all we need is a package for the
> gstreamer sink.
>
> Would this be feasble for Fedora 7?

I had some issues with pulseaudio playing with other apps that I
regrettably didn't file (reinstalled with FC6 soon after and forgot
about it.)  I think esd releases the sound device after a period of
inactivity which allows other applications to use it whereas pulseaudio
doesn't.  Not sure though as I tried running padsp <PROGRAM> and some
other things with no change.

Regardless, we should evaluate how well pulseaudio plays with other
programs early in the cycle so we have a chance to find and fix any
little compatibility issues that crop up.

-Toshio